Last year I set out to find the best email marketing tool that could be integrated with WordPress. After testing a variety of plugins, I eventually settled on the AWeber plugin. In addition to being a highly-rated solution, it also had a very user-friendly interface and was very easy to implement.
Why Did I Choose AWeber?
While many people prefer to setup automated email campaigns using tools like MailChimp or Volusion, I prefer to use a plugin to integrate with WordPress. The main reason being that I feel as a content creator, my greatest power is shaping words.
Integrating with the WordPress ecosystem means that I can utilize a variety of themes and plugins to enhance the appearance of my blog. It also means that I can more easily customize the appearance of my blog to fit a variety of niches. This is often a frustrating process when using a tool that is not designed for content creators.
Another reason why I prefer to use a WordPress plugin is to keep my users engaged with frequent, automated content updates. When I use a free tool, I have to remember to check in with the vendor once a month to see if they’ve updated their software. When I use a WordPress plugin, I notify my users with a new blog post every week or two (depending on my schedule). This keeps my users coming back for more, which is great for my business.
The Pros and Cons of AWeber
Since I’ve already talked about why I prefer to use a plugin for email marketing, let’s now look at the pros and cons of AWeber. As you’ll see, there are pluses and minuses to consider when choosing this solution over others. The main points:
- Plenty of reviews – If you’ve ever browsed through Google reviews, you’ll know that AWeber has gained a lot of popularity because it’s such a highly rated and well-reviewed solution. With a 4.9 star rating out of 5, you can rest assured that you’re choosing a well-established platform.
- User-friendly – As I said before, the main reason I chose AWeber is because of how simple it was to get up and running with. Even a beginner can figure out how to use it without any problems.
- Integration – One of the greatest things about AWeber is how well it integrates with WordPress. The folks at AWeber are extremely active in contributing back to the community, especially when it comes to WordPress users. For those using the most popular content management system, this will make your life much easier.
- Performance – From my own experience, AWeber never had trouble keeping up with my requests. I never saw a slow down, even when I was sending out hundreds of bulk email campaigns every month. (Needless to say, this is all dependent on the plan you’re on.)
- Cost – Free solutions like AWeber are always an attractive option for those on a budget. For those wanting to spend a little more, you can choose from a variety of pricing plans.
Features You’ll Need to Look For
There are literally hundreds of features in AWeber. From automatic email campaign generation to advanced list segmentation, you’ll find all the tools you need to run an effective marketing operation.
If you plan on using AWeber for more than just sending out a few automated emails, then you might want to consider the Essie plugin, which is an extension to AWeber. It offers all the same features as AWeber, but with the flexibility of being able to import contacts from LinkedIn, Facebook, and Gmail.
As I mentioned before, being integrated with WordPress makes AWeber a very popular choice amongst marketers. If you’re looking for a tool that can help you optimize blog content, then you might want to check out the Inbound Marketing Platform, which can automatically generate short-links, perform advanced SEO, and track the success of your content.
How to Install AWeber
If you’ve ever setup an email marketing tool before, you’ll know what a pain-in-the-ass it can be to find the right settings for a campaign. Since AWeber is so widely used, it has a lot of these settings already, so you can get up and running quickly. The best part? You don’t have to go through all the settings to find the right ones. They’re all located in one place for you to find and edit as needed.
Here’s the list of steps you’ll need to follow to get AWeber set up on your WordPress blog:
- Visit the AWeber website and click on the “Get Started” button.
- You’ll be taken to a “Get Started” page where you can choose between the Free plan or the Smart plan (I recommend the free version)
- Once you make the payment, you’ll get a confirmation email from AWeber. Check your spam folder in case the email wasn’t delivered)
- Within a few minutes, you’ll get an email from AWeber with your login info
- Go to your WordPress dashboard and click on the “Plugins” tab at the top
- Locate the “AWeber” plugin and click on the “Install” button to install it
- Once installed, you can activate the plugin by clicking on the “Plugins” tab at the top of your WordPress dashboard and looking for the “AWeber” plugin
- You can now configure the plugin settings by going to the “AWeber” plugin and clicking on the “Settings” link at the top
- Configure the various settings for your needs (e.g. E-mail Sender, E-mail Subject Line, etc.)
- You’re done! You can now use the plugin to start creating your automated email campaigns.
User Interface & Design
If I’m a designer and I’m looking for a tool that can help me with my daily workflow, then I’ll naturally want to check out the design of the platform. Does the tool look clean and modern or is everything crammed into a tiny little box?
As I already mentioned, AWeber is a popular choice amongst marketers, so a lot of thought went into making the tool user-friendly. It has a fresh new look with subtle animations and easy-to-read text. All of this adds up to a much better user experience than your average email marketing tool. (I should also mention that AWeber is built on the Twitter Bootstrap framework, which makes the site look fantastic on any device.
Reporting & Analytics
You’ll want to track the success of your automated emails, right? How else will you know if all those emails are doing the trick? AWeber has you covered when it comes to tracking results. Not only do they offer powerful tools for analyzing open rates, click-throughs, and conversion data, but they also give you beautiful, fully-customizable reports to analyze and track your results.
The cool thing is that the reports are entirely customizable, so you can choose exactly what information you want to track. For example, you may only want to track clicks on a certain link or you may want to focus on getting a certain amount of people to complete a purchase. Whatever your needs, AWeber has a reporting option that can help you reach your goals.
In addition to reporting, you’ll also want to check out the various other tools or apps that AWeber has created to make your life as a marketer easier. For example, they have a CRM tool that integrates with the rest of their ecosystem, so you can follow up with customers and prospects as quickly as possible. Plus, their tool for webinars helps you spread the word about your upcoming events using digital signage.
I could go on and on about the various features that AWeber has to offer, but the best thing is that you can download the entire app directly to your phone. This means you can access all the features wherever you go. It’s like having a mini-office in the palm of your hand.
Being a marketer means you’re always looking for new, innovative ways to reach your audience. Fortunately, AWeber is here to help with all your email marketing needs, whether you’re an affiliate marketer, a digital advertiser, or someone simply trying to attract readers to your blog. I hope this article helps you learn more about the AWeber plugin and the powerful platform it’s built on.