In today’s world, email is arguably one of the most powerful and accessible tools available. According to HubSpot Blogs research, 73% of businesses use email effectively, compared to 59% who used social media and 28% who used traditional snail mail.
The reason email marketing remains so popular is it affords businesses of all sizes the opportunity to connect with customers, no matter where they are in the world. As a result, companies can enjoy an almost limitless reach, enabling the growth of nearly every business imaginable.
With such a vast array of uses and platforms available, it can be difficult to know where to begin when it comes to utilizing email marketing; however, once you do, it’s easy to see why it’s one of the preeminent marketing tools around.
Why Should You Use Email Marketing for MBA Applications?
As a business school applicant, you’ll no doubt be bombarded with countless emails and applications throughout the admissions process. It can be difficult to know how to position yourself to stand out from the crowd, but there are several ways you can use email marketing to establish your candidacy.
To begin with, by sending out a well-written, informative email, you’ll be able to engage with the reader and encourage them to learn more about your university, program, or MBA itself. If you can grab the attention of the individual receiving the email, you’ll have accomplished something useful and worthwhile.
In a similar fashion, you can use email to follow up with individuals after they’ve applied for admission, either by sending them an email to thank them for their interest, or by following up with a phone call, to see how they’re progressing.
What Should You Include In Your MBA Email Marketing Campaign?
Depending on your target audience, you may wish to include a mix of the following in your email marketing campaigns:
- An application headline that stands out
- A short, informative summary of your career to date
- A personal statement describing your motivation for applying for a business degree
- A section on what you’ve achieved so far
- Contact details
- A promise to keep the reader engaged
- An offer to speak with the admissions tutor about the application
- A call to action to apply
With so much competition for spots in top-rated business schools, it’s essential your email marketing campaign stands out and distinguishes itself from the crowd. In doing so, you’ll be able to stand a better chance of getting a place on a course that can catapult you forward in your career. Above all else, the key to gaining admission to a top-rated MBA is to stand out from the crowd, and the above list of tips will help get you started.
What Should You Avoid In Your MBA Email Marketing Campaign?
While it’s good practice to include as many of the above in your email marketing campaign as possible, you should also bear in mind the following:
- Don’t send emails too often – once or twice a week is fine
- Don’t overdo it with the text – shorter sentences and fewer words are better
- Do not copy and paste your entire career transcript into the email – include a brief summary of each year. You can also link to a more in-depth résumé if necessary
- Don’t sound like a salesperson – even if your intention is to be persuasive, you must avoid coming across as pushy
- Make sure your contacts are still interested in what you have to say – keep your email messages relevant and interesting, and always be prepared to follow up with another useful tip or piece of advice
- Do not expect immediate results – you should always strive to build, grow, and maintain your email list.
- If you’re following up with a phone call, make sure your call is answered – no one wants to speak to a machine, especially when making an important enquiry
- Do not get too attached to your own opinions – you must remain objective and maintain a level head at all times
- Do not put too much pressure on yourself – you must keep in mind that you are not alone in seeking admission to a top-rated business school, and that others have gone before you
- Above all else, be yourself – you are unique, and no one else can ever be you. Be honest, be open, and be your own person.
With so much riding on your application, it’s important to ensure each part is done to the best of your ability. From the moment you apply for admission, you’ll be bombarded with emails and text messages from tutors, admissions officers, and academic staff. With so much competition for spots in top-rated business schools, standing out from the crowd is the key to gaining admission to a course that can propel you forward in your career. Use the above list of tips to get started, and before you know it, you’ll be enjoying the benefits of a business education, and on your way to becoming a successful business leader.