Email marketing is one of the most popular ways to promote offers online. But there’s a lot to consider when it comes to getting the best results with email campaigns. From writing great subject lines to testing various approaches, here are 98 email marketing tips to help you boost the success of your promotions.
Begin with the Basics
Before you launch your email marketing campaigns, make sure you have the basics covered.
1. Start by creating an email list with subscribers who are genuinely interested in the content you plan to send. Understand your target audience and acquire contacts through surveys, forms, and contests.
2. Ensure that you are compliant with the CAN-SPAM Act. This includes including an unsubscribe link in all of your emails and keeping your email list up to date.
3. Choose an email service provider that fits your needs. This should include features such as email automation, analytics, and delivery tracking.
4. Get organized and create an email marketing calendar. Start by creating a plan for the types of emails you will send, the content you will share, and the specific dates and times when the emails will be sent.
Craft the Content
Now that you have the basics covered, it’s time to focus on the content and design of your emails.
5. Write an attention-grabbing subject line. Your subject line should be long enough to get your message across, but short enough to be seen in the reader’s inbox.
6. Keep the design of your emails simple. Use a single-column format and keep the content to a few short paragraphs.
7. Include a call-to-action in the body of your email, but don’t include too many. Focus on one main action that you want your readers to take.
8. Add a personal touch. Use personalization tags to address your readers by name or to include other custom details about them.
9. Include multiple links in your email. Make sure your readers can easily click through to any page on your website.
10. Include visuals like images, gifs, and videos. This can help make your emails more visually engaging and can help to boost overall engagement.
Test Your Tactics
Once you’ve created the content for your emails, it’s time to test your tactics.
11. Test different subject lines to see what resonates best with your readers.
12. Split test different versions of your emails. You can test different designs, content, and calls-to-action to see which versions have the highest engagement rates.
13. Test the time and day of the week when you send your emails. Different days and times of the week may result in different levels of engagement from your readers.
14. Include A/B testing in your email campaigns. This will help you optimize your content and design for the best results.
15. Monitor your email analytics. Keep an eye on your click-through rates, open rates, and other performance metrics.
Automating your email campaigns can help you save time and increase engagement.
16. Set up welcome emails for new subscribers. This can include a personalized message and a link to your best content.
17. Send personalized follow-up emails. Use automation to send emails to people who have taken certain actions on your website, such as downloading an ebook or signing up for an event.
18. Automate birthday emails for your subscribers. Include a special offer or discount in your birthday emails to show your appreciation.
19. Set up drip campaigns to nurture leads. This can help to keep your leads engaged and encourage them to convert.
20. Utilize segmentation for more targeted emails. Segment your list based on factors such as location, age, gender, and interests.
Once you’ve tested your tactics, you can start to optimize your campaigns.
21. Leverage data-driven insights. Take a look at your email analytics and use the data to inform your optimization strategies.
22. Create more targeted emails. Use the data you’ve collected to create emails that are personalized and relevant to your audience.
23. Optimize for mobile. Make sure your emails are optimized for mobile and look great on both desktop and mobile devices.
24. Include social share buttons. This can help to increase the reach of your emails and drive more traffic and engagement.
25. Incorporate dynamic content. Use dynamic content to deliver more relevant and personalized messages to your subscribers.
Integrating your email campaigns with other channels can help to boost engagement and reach even more readers.
26. Integrate your email campaigns with your social media accounts. Make sure your social media followers know about your email campaigns and can subscribe to your list.
27. Leverage influencer marketing. Reach out to influencers in your niche and ask them to promote your emails to their followers.
28. Incorporate email into your content. Include a call-to-action in your blog posts and other content to encourage readers to subscribe to your email list.
29. Use email to promote your physical products. Include a link to your product page in your emails and encourage readers to purchase.
30. Use email to drive traffic to your website. Include a link to your website in your emails and use the content to draw readers back to your site.
Measure and Monitor
Once you’ve launched your campaigns, it’s important to measure and monitor the performance.
31. Track your open rates. Take a look at your email analytics to see how many people are opening your emails.
32. Monitor your click-through rates. Pay attention to the links that are clicked the most and use the data to inform future campaigns.
33. Track conversions from your emails. Use tracking software to track the number of people who convert after clicking on an email link.
34. Measure your ROI. Calculate the return on investment for your email campaigns to make sure you’re getting the best results.
Engaging your readers is key to success with email marketing.
35. Ask questions in your emails. This will encourage your readers to respond and start a conversation.
36. Host contests and giveaways. Giveaways are a great way to engage your readers and encourage them to share your emails.
37. Include customer testimonials. Feature customer reviews and testimonials in your emails to show readers what it’s like to work with you.
38. Include social proof. Include social media buttons in your emails to show readers how many people are following you on social media.
39. Give readers exclusive access. Offer special discounts or content to subscribers to make them feel special and encourage them to stay engaged.
Scheduling your emails can help to ensure that your readers get the content when they’re most likely to read it.
40. Test different times and days. Test different days and times of the week to figure out which ones have the best engagement.
41. Send emails at least once a month. Make sure you’re sending emails to your list at least once a month to keep them engaged.
42. Send emails during peak times. Try to send your emails during the times of the day when your readers are most likely to be online.
43. Schedule emails in advance. Use an email automation tool to schedule emails in advance and save time.
44. Use automation to send follow-up emails. Set up automation to send follow-up emails to readers who haven’t opened your emails.
Make sure you’re following best practices for opt-out management.
45. Include an unsubscribe link in all emails. Make sure the unsubscribe link is clearly visible and easy to find.
46. Don’t keep contacting subscribers who have opted out. Make sure you stop sending emails to people who have opted out.
47. Give subscribers the option to update their preferences. Include a link to an opt-in/opt-out page so readers can update their preferences