You have a new prospect on your hands! They have just subscribed to your email list after reading your blog post or listening to one of your podcasts. Now what do you say? How can you encourage them to become a regular listener?
For many entrepreneurs, affiliate marketing is the go-to source of growth. It’s a form of marketing that’s all about generating revenue without having to rely on advertising. If you’re unfamiliar, affiliate marketing occurs when a business or brand recommends or promotes a product or service in return for a commission.
What’s great about affiliate marketing is that you don’t necessarily need a massive budget to get started. In fact, you can use tools like AWeber to automate the process of generating affiliate sales.
You’ve got a choice here. You can either say “hello,” and let their curiosity get the best of them, or you can encourage them to stay on your mailing list. Which one will you choose?
Use Curiosity To Get Them To Subscribe
If you follow the science of persuasion, you’ll know that humans are the most likely to open up to you when they’re experiencing a mild state of curiosity. The more they learn about you, the more they’ll be interested in what you have to say. And that’s exactly what you want.
In your welcome email, you’ll want to harness that curiosity and use it to get them to subscribe. While you should always stay committed to your products and services, you can employ a few tactics to highlight what makes you special. For example, you might want to use phrases like:
- “Here’s something very special…”
- “I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but…”
- “I’ve got some good news for you.”
- “You’re going to love this…”
All of these are ways to intrigue your potential subscriber while also staying true to your brand. The important thing is to keep them curious.
Encourage Them To Stay On Your List
On the flip side, you can also increase your revenue by actively encouraging people to stay on your email list. AWeber makes this easy. When someone subscribes to your list, you can email them to say “hello” and ask them to stay subscribed. If they ask you why they should stay subscribed, you can promote additional products and services that are related to what they’ve signed up for.
This is especially beneficial if you have a large audience, as it can help you find more targeted and lucrative leads. When someone signs up for your list, you can follow up with messages like:
- “Hey, I noticed you recently signed up for my email list. Thank you for joining. I appreciate you taking the time to hear what I have to say. I have several other courses and materials that I think you’ll find valuable.”
- “I’m pleased you’re interested in what I have to say. While you’re here, would you mind taking a look at my other offerings? There are a number of freebies that you can try out, and if you become a regular subscriber, I’ll send you additional materials that will help you get even more out of your home renovation business.”
- “I’d love to have you on my team. Let’s get coffee and talk this over.”
- “Hi, I’m Melissa. How are you doing? I saw your blog post on [insert industry topic here] and wanted to give you my contact info. I look forward to hearing from you.”
You can also use these welcome emails to introduce yourself to new subscribers. A little self-marketing never hurt anyone. In this digital age, people are used to being advertised to, so you don’t necessarily need to disguise your pitch. Instead, you can use phrases like:
- “I’m excited to have you as a customer. I own a small business just like yours, and I know how challenging it can be to find good help. That’s why I created my company with the explicit goal of providing you with the support you need to succeed.”
- “I’m excited to have you on my team. Let’s work together to grow your business.”
- “As a business owner myself, I know what it’s like to feel overwhelmed. That’s why I’m so excited to add additional support to your team.”
- “I’ve got some great news…”
- “I’ve been praying that God would provide me with a business partner. And He has. My company specializes in [insert niche here] and I know that you’re experienced in [insert niche here] as well. Let’s join forces and take advantage of the digital age.”
- “Are you feeling a little overwhelmed in your role as a business owner? I can help. Let’s get coffee and discuss how I can best support your business.”
- “I’m excited to join the [insert relevant social platform here] community.”
- “I see you’re exploring the [insert relevant platform here]. That’s fantastic! I use that platform myself, as do a lot of my friends. Let’s connect and grow our communities.”
- “I’d love to have you come visit my store. No one should have to tell you twice.”
AWeber lets you define automatic responses based on the actions of your subscribers. For example, you can say “thank you” in response to a new subscription, or you can say “Welcome to the team! I’m so excited to have you involved. Keep up the good work!” in response to someone who signs up for your email list.
These are just a few examples of what you might say in your welcome email. But you get the point. You want to keep your subscribers interested and engaged so they’ll continue to listen to your messages. And that’s exactly what keeping them interested and engaged entails.
Do you have a favorite way of welcoming new subscribers? Do you use AWeber to grow your email list? Let us know! We’d love to hear from you.